Issues following rollout of Xcode 6
Incident Report for Travis CI
Resolved
The workaround we deployed has fixed the issue for most projects. We're planning on rolling out an environment update with various updates and improvements, which will be announced on our blog before we roll it out. We'll publish a postmortem on Wednesday, October 22nd.
Posted over 4 years ago. Oct 16, 2014 - 15:06 UTC
Monitoring
We just deployed a workaround for iOS simulators not starting up. We tested this workaround on our own test repositories on staging, and rolled it out to travis-ci.org. After monitoring it for a while there and not seeing any issues, we also rolled it out to travis-ci.com. In order to get this update out to you as quickly as possible, we perform the workaround right before starting the build, which causes a short delay before the job starts. We're working on pushing the workaround to the build environment, which we hope to have live later this week.

If you had issues with the iOS simulator not starting up, please try restarting your builds. If you are still seeing any issues, please let us know at support@travis-ci.com.

We'll follow up with a full postmortem next week.
Posted over 4 years ago. Oct 06, 2014 - 23:34 UTC
Identified
Green builds (unfortunately only on our staging system so far)!

We have found a hotfix and a more permanent solution, we will look into rolling out the hotfix tonight and will build and roll out new images (including other small fixes) during the week.

Thank you for your patience and stay tuned.
Posted over 4 years ago. Oct 06, 2014 - 17:24 UTC
Update
We are really sorry for continued issues with running iOS builds.

Due to a permissions change in iOS 8/Xcode 6, the iOS simulator is no longer starting when launched by a process that is run from SSHd. This issue has been reported to Apple but is unlikely to be fixed anytime soon. You can read more about it here: http://openradar.io/18321293

We are looking into a potential fix (bypassing SSH completely). If we don't get it out by today, we will roll back to Xcode 5. Unfortunately, due to our Mac infrastructure internals, we cannot have two VM images installed simultaneously, which is a separate issue we are trying to address as soon as possible.

Previously, we announced a rollback for last Friday, but did hold it back, since we had found a potential fix for the issue, only to discover it not working on the exact OS X version we have installed on our VMs.

We are also working on a full postmortem so we can share this information with all users and customers of travis-ci.org and travis-ci.com, as well as what we are doing to make sure this does not happen again.
Posted over 4 years ago. Oct 06, 2014 - 14:06 UTC
Update
We have postponed the rollback until further notice while we investigate a possible fix for the iOS Simulator launching issues.
Posted over 4 years ago. Oct 04, 2014 - 02:37 UTC
Update
Sorry for the lack of updates. We're still investigating possible workarounds for iOS Simulators not launching. The current plan is to rollback tomorrow (Friday October 3rd) if we cannot find a workaround by then.
Posted over 4 years ago. Oct 02, 2014 - 13:54 UTC
Investigating
The upgrade to Xcode 6 has brought a few issues that we're currently investigating possible workarounds for. One of them affects starting the simulator as part of the tests, another affects xctool 0.2. We're aware of the issues and are working on them.
Posted over 4 years ago. Oct 01, 2014 - 12:42 UTC